Cocoa beans, as well as cocoa powder, are the basis of chocolate that chocolatiers use as the prime ingredient in producing quality dark chocolate.
It is loaded with organic compounds and function as antioxidants. It is one of the best sources of antioxidants on the planet and also high in polyphenols, flavonoids catechins plus many more. It is also brimming with minerals and among the most antioxidant-rich foods known to mankind.
Eating good quality dark chocolate is beneficial to health. It helps the brain release good endorphins and helps reduce depression. It also helps lower blood pressure and has been shown to reduce LDL cholesterol.
Since dark chocolate is rich in minerals, it is a good source for contributing to a well-balanced diet to keep the body and mind strong and healthy.
Enjoyed as part of a balanced and varied diet, it is best consumed in moderation with surprising yet delicious health benefits. So the darker the chocolate, the better it is for you.
Here are the qualities to look for in a healthy dark chocolate food bar:
- High cacao content 70% or higher
- Low sugar content- preferably coconut sugar
- No artificial flavors
- No preservatives
- Milk fat is not required to make dark chocolate
- No hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil (trans fat)
- Not processed with alkali (also called Dutching) has fewer flavanols
- Few additives and overall ingredients
- Processed at a low temperature
- Fair Trade supports quality and productivity
- Cocoa powder, cocoa nibs and cocoa butter are acceptable additions to dark chocolate.
Dark chocolate is the snack of choice for healthy eaters. A sweet made much more appealing than a basic candy bar.